Daniel Garber (American 1880-1958), oil on canvas
Daniel Garber (American 1880-1958), oil on canvas titled The Mary Maxwell House (Milk Wagon), signed lower left, retaining its original Harer frame, 30" x 25". Literature: Tenth Anniversary Collection: Paintings, Watercolors, and Drawings - Taggart & Jorgensen Galleries, Washington D.C. 1989 pg. 17. Lance Lee Humphries Daniel Garber: Catalogue Raisonne, New York, Hollis Taggart Galleries, 2006, vol. III, pg. 113, no.P 334. According to the catalogue "Mrs. Maxwell's house was located across the Cuttalossa Road from the Garber's home. It would appear that the artist painted the same location in Autumn Colors cat. P 733, and explored a similar nearby location in Glen Cuttalossa cat P 517. The painting is dated, ca. 1910's 20's. Provenance: (Probably) gift of the artist to Mary Maxwell, Bucks County, Pennsylvania by descent to her grandson; acquired by Peter Rudolph; acquired by Taggart and Jorgensen Gallery, Washington D.C., and Plymouth Meeting Gallery, January 1989; acquired by Marshall Henis, Great Neck, New York, February 1989; Sold at Sotheby's November 28, 2001, lot 92; Private collection, PA.; Sold at Freeman's Auction December 6, 2015, purchased by the present owner.
Condition:Overall very good condition. Restretched onto a new stretcher. Possibly a couple small touch-ups along bottom right edge from rubbing against frame.
Array ( [live_biddable] => [inquire] => [phone] => [phone_bid] => 0 [sold] => [unsold] => [make_offer] => [estimate] => 1 [timer] => [current_bid] => [asking_bid] => [start_price] => 1 [buy_it_now_price] => [bid_activity] => )
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us
· BUYER'S PREMIUM - 23% (IN-HOUSE), 26% (ONLINE)
· SUBMIT PHONE BIDS BY 5pm on April 22nd
· POOK & POOK OFFERS IN-HOUSE SHIPPING ON SELECT ITEMS, AND IS HAPPY TO PROVIDE A LIST OF OUTSIDE SHIPPERS FOR THOSE ITEMS IT DOES NOT SHIP.
· ESTABLISHED CLIENTS MAY PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD (3.5% surcharge). NEW CLIENTS MAY PAY WITH CASH, CHECK, MONEY ORDER, CASHIER'S CHECK OR BANK WIRE TRANSFER.
· CLIENTS PICKING UP IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA WHO DO NOT HAVE A TAX EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE ON FILE MUST PAY SALES TAX.