Liverpool Herculaneum pitcher, ca. 1810, decorated
Liverpool Herculaneum pitcher, ca. 1810, decorated with Signals at the Portland Observatory of Portland, Maine, with twenty-four flags and"Explanation" below, the reverse with an American frigate, 8 7/8" h. The Portland Observatory, an 86-foot high tower, became operational in 1807. Financed by a group of investors, organized by Captain Lemuel Moody (1767-1846), the Observatory was used to alert ship owners and merchants that their vessels were approaching with the use of the signal flags, identifying type and location of ship. For further reference, see McCauleyLiverpool Transfer Designs on Anglo-American Pottery, pgs. 60-62. Provenance: Colwill & McGehee.
Provenance:The Collection of J. Jefferson and Anne Weiler Miller.
Handle restored. Repair to spout. Allover surface wear. 4" repair to rim of base. Two small 1/8" chips to the inside top rim.
Array ( [live_biddable] => [inquire] => [phone] => [phone_bid] => 0 [sold] => 1 [unsold] => [make_offer] => [estimate] => 1 [timer] => [current_bid] => [asking_bid] => [start_price] => 1 [buy_it_now_price] => [bid_activity] => )
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us